Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

My lastest resto

Go down 
AuthorMessage
slammed87d21

slammed87d21

My lastest resto Empty
PostSubject: My lastest resto   My lastest resto EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 8:06 pm

Well, it's not exactly 100% finished, but I just wanted to show it off. It's a Philco 46-250. BTW, I made the back for it from scratch.

My lastest resto Philco

My lastest resto Philco2

Two things are remaining to do. First, is the vent holes for the back. What would be the easiest way of cutting the holes identical to factory.

Next is the antenna. What would be good to use to hold the antenna in place? I have some really good two sided tape, but not sure if it would be good to use.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wcirco

Wcirco

My lastest resto Empty
PostSubject: Re: My lastest resto   My lastest resto EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 8:10 pm

Hi Andy,

Looks GREAT! I would use hot glue to hold the antenna in place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldradiospook

oldradiospook

My lastest resto Empty
PostSubject: Re: My lastest resto   My lastest resto EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 8:19 pm

Andy,

Did you repaint the cabinet? If so, could you tell a little about the procedure for a noobie? I have a Crosely 10-135 that I may have to refinish.

Bill

Oh, sorry. Nice job Andy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reece

Reece

My lastest resto Empty
PostSubject: Re: My lastest resto   My lastest resto EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 8:22 pm

Nice job on the case. As to the back, I cut slots in mine. I use a 1" hole saw in the drill press on each end, then sabre saw between them, clamping on a straight edge as a saw guide. Don't know what your radio had originally. If you wanted a series of drilled holes, I think it would be more of a problem to space them uniformly. Maybe someone else has an idea.

My lastest resto Firestoneback004
Back to top Go down
View user profile
slammed87d21

slammed87d21

My lastest resto Empty
PostSubject: Re: My lastest resto   My lastest resto EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 9:07 pm

Bill, repainting a cabinet is easier than you think. First off, if you can stand using a chemical stripper, use it. The natural strippers I've tried take way too long and tend to have trouble getting paint from tiny spots. I use Aircraft Remover from Autozone. Spent about 30-45 minutes setting up and stripping the cabinet. I use a soft wire brush to scrub the stripper and to help loosen the paint. Plus, the brush scuffs up the surface, and if scrubbed well, no need to sand. Hand dried it then used a hair dryer to get it 100% dry.

I used a new (to me) plastic paint on this one. No need for a primer. To paint, I built a jig for it. Basically it's a scrap piece of plywood, with a 2x4 nailed in the center. To hold the cabinet, I use 1x2's cut into a "T" that is snug fitting. That is nailed to the top, and the cabinet is slid down over it, so the "T" is holding the cabinet from the inside.

Once it's on the jig, I scrub the cabinet down with acetone twice. The first time gets the bulk of junk off the surface, and the second get the residue. Then let it dry. Spraying the paint, I usually spray a thin coat first, then let it tack up. Once it tacks up, then 3 more coats with 7 minutes separating them. Then let dry.

There are other methods that may be better or worse, but this way works for me. I'll try to get a picture of the jig and figure out the paint if anyone is interested.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
slammed87d21

slammed87d21

My lastest resto Empty
PostSubject: Re: My lastest resto   My lastest resto EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 9:11 pm

Reece, that's a good idea for cutting the holes. From what I can find, there were 3 rows (left to right) and 3 vertical rows of ovals. I'll have to see if I can figure out about the size of hole saw I would need.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
slammed87d21

slammed87d21

My lastest resto Empty
PostSubject: Re: My lastest resto   My lastest resto EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 10:23 pm

BTW, I just set up a page on my site for this radio.

http://www.thevintageattic.net/philco46.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reece

Reece

My lastest resto Empty
PostSubject: Re: My lastest resto   My lastest resto EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 6:15 am

In lieu of a hole saw, for smaller sizes, I guess you could use a new, sharp paddle bit, but I wonder how that would work in Masonite. The bit would have to be lowered slowly and squarely into the work to avoid crumbling the edges. Better would be a For$tner bit: too bad there are not more $'s in the word For$tner.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
older is better

older is better

My lastest resto Empty
PostSubject: Re: My lastest resto   My lastest resto EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 6:29 am

good work on that, looks great!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Perflenta

My lastest resto Empty
PostSubject: Re: My lastest resto   My lastest resto EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 6:43 am

slammed87d21 wrote:

Two things are remaining to do. First, is the vent holes for the back. What would be the easiest way of cutting the holes identical to factory.

Andy, nice back, tight at the edges and straight cuts... Impressive if you did it by hand.

I use a trimmer-router with a straight bit and a template for cutting out backs. Once the shape is cut, I use another template to cutting out vents. To make evenly spaced grids of round holes I use pieces of my daughter's mechanical constructor sets. The parts in the set come in different lengths/widths, so depending on the grid I secure one or more of those parts to the back and them drill them on a vertical press. Using a constructor parts as a guide makes the hole pattern neat, precise and evenly spaced.

thanks, Paul
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johncb

My lastest resto Empty
PostSubject: Re: My lastest resto   My lastest resto EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 7:25 am

Here's a picture of an original Philco back for that radio.

My lastest resto Backca

Back to top Go down
View user profile
slammed87d21

slammed87d21

My lastest resto Empty
PostSubject: Re: My lastest resto   My lastest resto EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 12:04 pm

Perflenta wrote:
slammed87d21 wrote:

Andy, nice back, tight at the edges and straight cuts... Impressive if you did it by hand.
thanks, Paul

Thanks Paul. Everything I do is by hand with no power tools. The only power tools in my shop are a 60s Craftsman drill and a Chinaman vibrating sander, which was used for the first time in a year last night. Work goes slower, but the result is better quality, IMO.

Anyway, the back was cut with only side cutters and a sander. No measuring, just eye balled it. Not too bad for a first try, is it? Lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

My lastest resto Empty
PostSubject: Re: My lastest resto   My lastest resto Empty

Back to top Go down

My lastest resto
Page 1 of 1