Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Radios in the Movie "Public Enemy"

Go down 
AuthorMessage
robertl

Radios in the Movie "Public Enemy" Empty
PostSubject: Radios in the Movie "Public Enemy"   Radios in the Movie "Public Enemy" EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 6:08 am

I just watched this movie on cable. So so flick in my opinion but several good shots of radios. They're all newer then the time period by a few years but show well. Even a cool close up of a Zenith tombstone all lit up with the multi-colored dial.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark D

PostSubject: Re: Radios in the Movie "Public Enemy"   Radios in the Movie "Public Enemy" EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 4:53 pm

So you caught that too! I didn't notice on some, but the console Philco near the end I picked up on immediately. I have one like it. I think there must be many thousands of that model still around. I see pictures and other radios like it all the time.

The steam locomotive used was also past the time period. The locomotive used in the movie was built in July of 1944, long after John Dillinger made himself infamous.
That locomotive is the one I work on and fire. And grease. And lots of other stuff.
But, just like the radios, it was close enough.
The movie people went way out of their way to try to instill realism into the movie. They spent many tens... hundreds... of thousands for scenes that either never made it out of the cutting room, or as in the case of the Milwaukee Road steam locomotive, only played a 15 second part.
They redecorated a huge part of Chicago Union Station with old time magazine racks with period magazines, old cigarette vending machines with period brands, and even found old period passenger cars to put in the train shed area as a realistic backdrop. Our own cars were used for the moving train shots. They spent three days filming the train, and used 15 seconds. It cost them huge dollars for those 15 seconds.
I wonder what happened to the radios after the filming? On things like that, I sometimes wonder if they just buy something from an antique store, and just toss it in the trash when they're done with it. After all, it's only a few hundred bucks at most.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dorpmuller

PostSubject: Re: Radios in the Movie "Public Enemy"   Radios in the Movie "Public Enemy" EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 6:12 pm

Michael Mann does a great job. That was a good movie.

If you like his work, check out the TV series from ~1986, "Crime Story." Takes place in 60's Chicago and Vegas. Good series available on DVD.

Rich
Back to top Go down
View user profile
philsoldradios

philsoldradios

PostSubject: Re: Radios in the Movie "Public Enemy"   Radios in the Movie "Public Enemy" EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 7:42 pm

Here's a snap showing that Zenith tombstone.

Radios in the Movie "Public Enemy" PublicEnemyRadio

I forget the model number. It was discussed in one forum or another in Ye Olde ARF.

What happens to props after a production ends is hard to say. A big outfit might keep decent stuff around for later use. Others might sell it. I bought a number of things at the prop auction for the TV show "Northern Exposure," whose interiors were filmed a couple of miles from where we lived at the time. This was a huge amount of stuff -- the contents of a big warehouse. Having spent thousands on such items, I doubt anyone would simply toss 'em into the garbage. Even 10 cents on the dollar makes more sense than paying a dump fee.

Phil Nelson

Last edited by philsoldradios on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Eliot Ness

Eliot Ness

PostSubject: Re: Radios in the Movie "Public Enemy"   Radios in the Movie "Public Enemy" EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 8:20 pm

The Zenith is a 5-S-29:

http://www.radiophile.com/5s29.htm

Will this eventually be called the Public Enemies radio like the Walton's? Or maybe, as Sofaslug once joked, it will be called The Depp since Johnny Depp starred in the movie.

All joking aside that is a Zenith model I once overlooked but now really admire. I don't recall the exact figures, but the last couple on eBay sold for quite a bit, and that was without any mention of the movie in the listings.

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
y2kbruce

y2kbruce

PostSubject: Re: Radios in the Movie "Public Enemy"   Radios in the Movie "Public Enemy" EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 3:05 pm

It's been a while since I saw this movie but I remember an early 1940's Philco console shown being listened to by one of the ladies and it was a few years newer than the time period of the movie.

Other than that the radios were a nice part of the background.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark D

PostSubject: Re: Radios in the Movie "Public Enemy"   Radios in the Movie "Public Enemy" EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 4:58 pm

Yes, that's the radio I mentioned above. I can never remember the model # on that thing, but it's a '40 radio. It was John Dillinger's girl friend who is shown listening to it while the fed's are outside spying on her. It's near the end of the movie. I don't think much of the radio, performance wise. Plain-Jane chassis.
Mark D.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mgk920

PostSubject: Re: Radios in the Movie "Public Enemy"   Radios in the Movie "Public Enemy" EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 8:14 pm

Mark D wrote:
So you caught that too! I didn't notice on some, but the console Philco near the end I picked up on immediately. I have one like it. I think there must be many thousands of that model still around. I see pictures and other radios like it all the time.

The steam locomotive used was also past the time period. The locomotive used in the movie was built in July of 1944, long after John Dillinger made himself infamous.
That locomotive is the one I work on and fire. And grease. And lots of other stuff.
But, just like the radios, it was close enough.
The movie people went way out of their way to try to instill realism into the movie. They spent many tens... hundreds... of thousands for scenes that either never made it out of the cutting room, or as in the case of the Milwaukee Road steam locomotive, only played a 15 second part.
They redecorated a huge part of Chicago Union Station with old time magazine racks with period magazines, old cigarette vending machines with period brands, and even found old period passenger cars to put in the train shed area as a realistic backdrop. Our own cars were used for the moving train shots. They spent three days filming the train, and used 15 seconds. It cost them huge dollars for those 15 seconds.
I wonder what happened to the radios after the filming? On things like that, I sometimes wonder if they just buy something from an antique store, and just toss it in the trash when they're done with it. After all, it's only a few hundred bucks at most.

What's the latest on the ongoing mandatory repairs/overhaul of the 261?

BTW, a movie just about to hit the theaters - 'Unstoppable' (trailer at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM-0Ywc7wNY ) - must of cost the production company some major bucks - they rented four AC4400CWs, complete with their own custom paint/movie makeup and then repainting them back, from Canadian Pacific. Ditto several SD40-2s from another railroad and a railroad track to run them all on.

Mike
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Radios in the Movie "Public Enemy"   Radios in the Movie "Public Enemy" Empty

Back to top Go down

Radios in the Movie "Public Enemy"
Page 1 of 1